Working to Make Illinois Government Accountable at Every Level
- Creates the "Local Government Wage Increase Transparency Act," requiring local government boards to hold an open meeting with full disclosure and an open and public vote before the board can consider any potential pension spiking for retiring public employees HB 5684.
- Closes loopholes in the Open Meetings Act HB 5683.
- Requires training for college boards SB 2174.
- SB 2291: Requires the Toll Highway Authority to post to its web site all meeting agendas at least two business days in advance of any meeting, and specifically tell the public the details of any contracts of over $100,000 in those agendas.
Working to Protect Our Most Vulnerable Citizens
- Protects estate plans of disabled seniors SB 90.
- Expands protection against human trafficking, requiring hotels and motels to post notices to help employees know they have the resources they need from law enforcement HB 2286.
- Improves outcomes for kids in DCFS care to keep them out of shelters and in family homes SB 2512.
- Removes fee for Illinois ID Cards for children who are wards of the state SB 2524.
- Ensures new innovative cancer treatments are taxed at the prescription drug rate of 1% and not the higher consumer product tax rates SB 3047.
- Closes a loophole to ensure those who cause death while driving drunk are punished as harshly as others who committed vehicular homicide if they are subsequently caught for driving on a suspended license HB3084.
- Ensures that definition of “child” is clear to avoid vagueness challenges to our criminal statutes protecting children against sex offenses of grooming and traveling to meet a child SB1321.
- Helps protect citizens by requiring that any data security breach of the state government impacting more than 250 Illinoisans be reported within 72 hours to the Department of Innovation and Technology and the Attorney General for investigation SB707.
- Brings state law on health insurance for adopted children into compliance with federal law HB817.
- SB 2660: Protects funds that are dedicated to the support of individuals who are living with a significant disability in an “Achieving a Better Life Experience” (ABLE) account, by protecting those resources from garnishment by the government on the death of that disabled individual.
- SB 2889: Amends Illinois law to allow school children to use newer Epi-Pen technology and less expensive generic epinephrine delivery technology in schools.
- SB 2524: Creates a task force to inform Illinoisans of the methods and benefits of proper disposal of expired and excess pharmaceuticals and the risks associated with improper and non-disposal of those products.
Working to Make All Levels of Government More Efficient, Effective & Fair
- Eliminated an unnecessary layer of government in DuPage County HB 3747.
- Allows electronic correspondence to confirm licensing for nurses aides HB 5930.
- Ensures that the Illinois Department of Labor has power to enforce worker protection laws and makes Illinois eligible for $5 million in Federal Grants SB 1683.
- Requires reporting about the cost of state mandates on local governments. The bill applies to items listed in the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity’s (DECO) catalog of state mandates SB2066.
- Ensures that challenges to extensions of the statute of limitations are raised and ruled upon prior to full criminal jury trial, just like challenges to venue and other challenges to a charging document SB1422.
- Amends state law to end the practice of charging “expedited service fees” of $25, $50, or more on every electronic filing with the Secretary of State’s office HB3514.
- Reverses new Department of Revenue ruling treating small religious retreat houses as “hotels,” charging them thousands of dollars under the Hotel Operators' Occupation Tax SB587.
- Exempts not-for profit recycling organizations from tedious paperwork and costly fees associated with operating collection centers for residential drop-off of used cooking oil and grease SB1420.
- Allows townships to save money by permitting the delivery of surplus wood chips generated through routine tree maintenance to residents HB2423.
- Amended the Environmental Protection Act to allow craft brewing companies in Illinois to utilize new 360-lid technology HB2386.
- Amends the Illinois Insurance Code to prohibit car insurance carriers from increasing policy premiums, cancelling policies or refusing to renew policies for individuals who have a car accident while using their personal vehicle in their role as an Emergency Management Services (EMS) volunteer HB 1336.
- Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code to allow Lombard’s Soaring Eagle Academy, an Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE)-approved therapeutic day school that caters to the unique educational needs of autistic children, to transport students in grades K-8 to off-site educational activities on their multipurpose bus HB 2040.
- Cleans up the Counties Code and Municipal Code to ensure that neighbors bringing lawsuits against a zoning or building code violator sue the correct parties and avoids taxpayer money being wasted on suits that will ultimately be dismissed HB 4711.
- Clarifies the statutes as they relate to fees paid for information in a driver’s record by ensuring private companies cannot circumvent the current $12 fee for each record by requesting parts instead of all of the record SB 2585.
- Provides that a sworn pleading or other document may be used in court without having to go through the additional step of securing a stamp from a notary public SB 3295.
Do you like this page?